For this activity, we will examine technical definitions so that you can see examples of the genre you will work in for this next project.
You will first need to find an example extended technical definition. An extended definition is a definition that is at least a few paragraphs long.) You can find an extended definition by looking up medical terms, or a by googling a technical term in your field. If you find a website, handout, poster, textbook, or similar, describing that term, you’ve probably found a technical definition.
Note: you may need to spend more a few minutes finding a good one to work with for this assignment. If you start to answer the questions below and can’t answer the questions, you may have chosen a poor example.
After you’ve identified one to work with, save it as a PDF or take a screenshot. Then, answer these questions.
1. Look at the first sentence of the definition. What is the category that the term is placed in? And how does the sentence differentiate the term from other items in that category? (For example, if I say that “FIU is a public university with it’s main campus in Miami”–I am placing FIU in the category of “public university”; and then for the rest of the sentence I am saying it’s different from other “public universities” because it’s located in Miami. That’s the category [public university] and the differentiation [located in Miami]. An extended definition is supposed to start with a one sentence definition with the basic structure: TERM is a __[category]__ that _[differentiation]________. )
2. Look over the definition. What are the methods (partition, etymology, principle of operation, etc) that the writer is using to define this term ? If the definition uses many different strategies, identify at least the first 3 that the writer used.
3. Look over the formatting of the definition. What does the author do, if anything, to break up the definition and make it easier to understand? What other elements of the page make the page look professional?
4. Are there any images in the definition? Do they seem helpful or merely decorative?
5. What, if anything, does examining this definition clarify for you as you start working on your own definition? OR, what questions do you have for me after examining this example?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
Our writers are encouraged to read and research widely to have rich information before writing clients’ papers. Therefore, be it high school or PhD level paper, it will always be a well-researched work handled by experts.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
For one to become part of our team, thorough interview and vetting is undertaken to make sure their academic level and experience are beyond reproach, hence enabling us give our clients top quality work.
Free Unlimited Revisions
Once you have received your paper and feel that some issues have been missed, just request for revision and it will be done. In addition, you can present your work to the tutor and he/she asks for improvement/changes, we are always ready to assist.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All our papers are sent to the clients before the deadline to allow them time to review the work before presenting to the tutor. If for some reason we feel our writers cannot meet the deadline, we will contact you to ask for more time. If this is not possible, then the paid amount will be refunded.
Original & Confidential
Our writers have been trained to ensure work produced is free of plagiarism. Software to check originality are also applied. Our clients’ information is highly guarded from third parties to ensure confidentiality is maintained.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support team is available 24 hours, 7 days a week. You can reach the team via live chat, email or phone call. You can always get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
You have had a hectic day, and still need to complete your assignment, yet it is late at night. No need to panic. Place your order with us, retire to bed, and once you wake up, the paper will be ready.
It does not matter the urgency of your paper, or the academic level, our team is ready to help you 24/7. Just contact us and all your academic needs will be sorted.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
A student is often required to write an admission letter requesting to be admitted in a certain institution. For you to be gain that admission in your dream institution, you must write a convincing letter. You can depend on our team for the best admission letters.
Academic writing is not just about getting information and throwing it all over. Our team will ensure you have a polished paper that is coherent and has a good flow of information. We also ensure the paper follows the correct formatting styles like APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago/Turabian.
If our writers write a paper but you are not satisfied in one way or another, you can always ask for revision. This is totally free. Our writers and editors will revise your paper untill you are be totally satisfied. We as well offer revision for papers not done by our writers at a small fee.