Perioperative Nursing Elective: Case Study 1
Directions: Please answer the following questions related to a patient scenario using your textbook and scholarly resources. Use APA (when applicable) for references. No plagiarism and check your grammar with Grammarly.
Mary Jones is a 64 year old woman scheduled for a lumbar 4-5 discectomy. She is 5’2” and weighs 210 lbs. She has a history of diabetes mellitus, hypertension, coronary artery disease (CAD) and used to smoke 1 pack of cigarettes per day for 20 years, but quit smoking 25 years ago. She has a past surgical history of a cholecystectomy in 1997 with no complications.
She currently takes the following medications: Insulin 4 units Regular every AM, subcutaneous. Lisiniopril 20 mg every day, PO. Aspirin 325 mg every day, PO.
1) What are the nursing responsibilities of the perioperative nurse in the immediate preoperative period? What items are included on the preoperative checklist?
2) Identify the priority nursing care assessments for Ms. Jones prior to her procedure. Explain why these assessments are necessary to her care.
3) What are the surgeon and anesthesia provider responsible for obtaining from the patient prior to surgery to ensure informed consent? What must the patient consent to prior to the surgery being done? How would the nurse verify that informed consent has been obtained?
4) What does it mean that Ms. Jones has an advance directive? How will it apply to her surgical procedure?
5) During the admission assessment, the nurse questions Ms. Jones to determine if there is a latex allergy or sensitivity. Why is this essential to the patient’s safety? What symptoms would the nurse question Ms. Jones about in order to determine an allergy or sensitivity? How should a latex allergy or sensitivity be addressed by the perioperative nurse? (3 points)
6) Which of Ms. Jones’s medications may be concerning to the nurse, and why? Should the patient be instructed to stop taking medications before surgery?
7) What preoperative teaching should the perioperative nurse include prior to the patient undergoing surgery?
8) Recently, some institutions have shifted their practice to completing the perioperative interview in the OR, rather than the OR holding area in an effort to save time between procedures. Why might this be concerning for the safety of the patient? Do you see a benefit to this this new approach? Please share your opinion.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
Our writers are encouraged to read and research widely to have rich information before writing clients’ papers. Therefore, be it high school or PhD level paper, it will always be a well-researched work handled by experts.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
For one to become part of our team, thorough interview and vetting is undertaken to make sure their academic level and experience are beyond reproach, hence enabling us give our clients top quality work.
Free Unlimited Revisions
Once you have received your paper and feel that some issues have been missed, just request for revision and it will be done. In addition, you can present your work to the tutor and he/she asks for improvement/changes, we are always ready to assist.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All our papers are sent to the clients before the deadline to allow them time to review the work before presenting to the tutor. If for some reason we feel our writers cannot meet the deadline, we will contact you to ask for more time. If this is not possible, then the paid amount will be refunded.
Original & Confidential
Our writers have been trained to ensure work produced is free of plagiarism. Software to check originality are also applied. Our clients’ information is highly guarded from third parties to ensure confidentiality is maintained.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support team is available 24 hours, 7 days a week. You can reach the team via live chat, email or phone call. You can always get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
You have had a hectic day, and still need to complete your assignment, yet it is late at night. No need to panic. Place your order with us, retire to bed, and once you wake up, the paper will be ready.
It does not matter the urgency of your paper, or the academic level, our team is ready to help you 24/7. Just contact us and all your academic needs will be sorted.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
A student is often required to write an admission letter requesting to be admitted in a certain institution. For you to be gain that admission in your dream institution, you must write a convincing letter. You can depend on our team for the best admission letters.
Academic writing is not just about getting information and throwing it all over. Our team will ensure you have a polished paper that is coherent and has a good flow of information. We also ensure the paper follows the correct formatting styles like APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago/Turabian.
If our writers write a paper but you are not satisfied in one way or another, you can always ask for revision. This is totally free. Our writers and editors will revise your paper untill you are be totally satisfied. We as well offer revision for papers not done by our writers at a small fee.