Worksheet: food sources and carbon cost
Societies today depend upon agriculture to some extent in order to provide food for the people who live there. Often, food is grown/raised in close proximity to where it is used. More often, though, it is transported from somewhere else, often from a source very far from where it is actually consumed. The energy, usually fossil fuel, used becomes part of the cost of the food. This cost must also be figured into pollution from the exhaust and wastes produced from burning fossil fuel. In addition, the aim of “buying local” is to put much needed funds into the small businesses and farms that exist and depend upon the community itself.
The goal of this worksheet is to find out what food sources are available in your area. You may be surprised!
1. Think of the last time you went grocery shopping. List five things that you purchased from either the meat/deli, dairy, or produce sections in the Table provided.
2. Find out where the product came from – often it is on the packaging/sticker.
3. Look online or ask around to find out the closest source of that food.
4. Estimate the approximate extra distance the food had to be transported (#2 – #3)
5. Calculate the fuel used in that transport, then estimate the portion applicable to that one product.
6. Calculate the additional carbon cost of transporting that one item. You will use an average of 25 mpg for this calculation. Divide the number of miles you calculated in #4 by 25mpg. That will give you the number of gallons used. Now, since your one item was not transported alone, let’s estimate that it was one of about 100,000 other items sharing that ride. So, divide by 100,000. That is the portion of fuel needed to transport this item. Now, since every gallon of gasoline produces about 20 lbs of Carbon Dioxide, let’s multiply your number by 20 to find out how many pound of CO2 are produced just to transport this one item.
b. Divide by 100,000 to get portion of gasoline used to transport one item.
c. Multiply this by 20 lbs CO2/gallon gasoline to get the amount of CO2 produced to transport this one item. This number goes into column #6 of the table.
|1. FOOD||2. Original Source||3. Local Source||4. Approximate Difference in Distance||5. Fuel Used||6. CO2 Produced|
1. What is the total amount of carbon dioxide that was produced by transporting these 5 items?
2. What are the negative effects of Carbon Dioxide on the environment?
3. Calculate the total fuel cost to transport your one item using the current cost/gallon.
4. Who do you think pays this cost?
5. What benefits are there for buying food as local as possible?
**Be sure to provide data information from your worksheet on the corresponding Q&A Forum**
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
Our writers are encouraged to read and research widely to have rich information before writing clients’ papers. Therefore, be it high school or PhD level paper, it will always be a well-researched work handled by experts.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
For one to become part of our team, thorough interview and vetting is undertaken to make sure their academic level and experience are beyond reproach, hence enabling us give our clients top quality work.
Free Unlimited Revisions
Once you have received your paper and feel that some issues have been missed, just request for revision and it will be done. In addition, you can present your work to the tutor and he/she asks for improvement/changes, we are always ready to assist.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All our papers are sent to the clients before the deadline to allow them time to review the work before presenting to the tutor. If for some reason we feel our writers cannot meet the deadline, we will contact you to ask for more time. If this is not possible, then the paid amount will be refunded.
Original & Confidential
Our writers have been trained to ensure work produced is free of plagiarism. Software to check originality are also applied. Our clients’ information is highly guarded from third parties to ensure confidentiality is maintained.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support team is available 24 hours, 7 days a week. You can reach the team via live chat, email or phone call. You can always get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
You have had a hectic day, and still need to complete your assignment, yet it is late at night. No need to panic. Place your order with us, retire to bed, and once you wake up, the paper will be ready.
It does not matter the urgency of your paper, or the academic level, our team is ready to help you 24/7. Just contact us and all your academic needs will be sorted.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
A student is often required to write an admission letter requesting to be admitted in a certain institution. For you to be gain that admission in your dream institution, you must write a convincing letter. You can depend on our team for the best admission letters.
Academic writing is not just about getting information and throwing it all over. Our team will ensure you have a polished paper that is coherent and has a good flow of information. We also ensure the paper follows the correct formatting styles like APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago/Turabian.
If our writers write a paper but you are not satisfied in one way or another, you can always ask for revision. This is totally free. Our writers and editors will revise your paper untill you are be totally satisfied. We as well offer revision for papers not done by our writers at a small fee.