1. Truck A has two single axles. One axle weighs 12,000 lb and the other weighs 23,000 lb. Truck B has an 8000-lb single axle and a 43,000-lb tandem axle. On a flexible pavement with a 3-inch HMA wearing surface, a 6-inch soil-cement base, and an 8- inch crushed stone subbase, which truck will cause more pavement damage? (Assume that drainage coefficients are 1.0.)
2. A flexible pavement has a 4-inch HMA wearing surface, a 7-inch dense-graded crushed stone base, and a 10-inch crushed stone subbase. The pavement is on a soil with a resilient modulus of 5000 lb/in2. The pavement was designed with 90% reliability, an overall standard deviation of 0.4, and a ΔPSI of 2.0 (a TSI of 2.5). The drainage coefficients are 0.9 and 0.8 for the base and subbase, respectively. How many 25-kip single-axle loads can be carried before the pavement reaches its TSI (with given reliability)?
3. A highway has the following pavement design daily traffic: 300 single axles at 10,000 lb each, 120 single axles at 18,000 lb each, 100 single axles at 23,000 lb each, 100 tandem axles at 32,000 lb each, 30 single axles at 32,000 lb each, and 100 triple axles at 40,000 lb each. A flexible pavement is designed to have 4 inches of sand-mix asphalt wearing surface, 6 inches of soil-cement base, and 7 inches of crushed stone subbase. The pavement has a 10-year design life, a reliability of 85%, an overall standard deviation of 0.30, drainage coefficients of 1.0, an initial PSI of 4.7, and a TSI of 2.5. What is the minimum acceptable soil resilient modulus?
4. Consider the conditions in Problem 4.3. Suppose the state has relaxed its truck weight limits and the impact has been to reduce the number of 18,000-lb single-axle loads from 120 to 20 and increase the number of 32,000-lb single-axle loads from 30 to 90 (all other traffic is unaffected). Under these revised daily counts, what is the minimum acceptable soil resilient modulus?
5. A flexible pavement was designed for the following daily traffic with a 12-year design life: 1300 single axles at 8000 lb each, 900 tandem axles at 15,000 lb each, 20 single axles at 40,000 lb each, and 200 tandem axles at 40,000 lb each. The highway was designed with 4 inches of HMA wearing surface,
4 inches of hot-mix asphaltic base, and 8 inches of crushed stone subbase. The reliability was 70%, overall standard deviation was 0.5, ΔPSI was 2.0 (with a TSI of 2.5), and all drainage coefficients were 1.0. What was the soil resilient modulus of the subgrade used in design?
6. A flexible pavement has a SN of 3.8 (all drainage coefficients are equal to 1.0). The initial PSI is 4.7 and the terminal serviceability is 2.5. The soil has a CBR of 9. The overall standard deviation is 0.40 and the reliability is 95%. The pavement is currently designed for 1800 equivalent 18-kip single-axle loads per day. If the number of 18-kip single-axle loads were to increase by 30%, by how many years would the pavement’s design life be reduced?
7. An engineer plans to replace the rigid pavement in Example 4.3 with a flexible pavement. The chosen design has 6 inches of sand-mix asphalt wearing surface, 9 inches of soil-cement base, and 10 inches of crushed stone subbase. All drainage coefficients are 1.0 and the soil resilient modulus is 5000 lb/in2. If the highway’s traffic is the same (same axle loadings per vehicle as in Example 4.3), for how many years could you be 95% sure that this pavement will last?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
Our writers are encouraged to read and research widely to have rich information before writing clients’ papers. Therefore, be it high school or PhD level paper, it will always be a well-researched work handled by experts.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
For one to become part of our team, thorough interview and vetting is undertaken to make sure their academic level and experience are beyond reproach, hence enabling us give our clients top quality work.
Free Unlimited Revisions
Once you have received your paper and feel that some issues have been missed, just request for revision and it will be done. In addition, you can present your work to the tutor and he/she asks for improvement/changes, we are always ready to assist.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All our papers are sent to the clients before the deadline to allow them time to review the work before presenting to the tutor. If for some reason we feel our writers cannot meet the deadline, we will contact you to ask for more time. If this is not possible, then the paid amount will be refunded.
Original & Confidential
Our writers have been trained to ensure work produced is free of plagiarism. Software to check originality are also applied. Our clients’ information is highly guarded from third parties to ensure confidentiality is maintained.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support team is available 24 hours, 7 days a week. You can reach the team via live chat, email or phone call. You can always get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
You have had a hectic day, and still need to complete your assignment, yet it is late at night. No need to panic. Place your order with us, retire to bed, and once you wake up, the paper will be ready.
It does not matter the urgency of your paper, or the academic level, our team is ready to help you 24/7. Just contact us and all your academic needs will be sorted.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
A student is often required to write an admission letter requesting to be admitted in a certain institution. For you to be gain that admission in your dream institution, you must write a convincing letter. You can depend on our team for the best admission letters.
Academic writing is not just about getting information and throwing it all over. Our team will ensure you have a polished paper that is coherent and has a good flow of information. We also ensure the paper follows the correct formatting styles like APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago/Turabian.
If our writers write a paper but you are not satisfied in one way or another, you can always ask for revision. This is totally free. Our writers and editors will revise your paper untill you are be totally satisfied. We as well offer revision for papers not done by our writers at a small fee.